This post will teach you how to make crispy onion rings.
Mmmm Onion Rings. Even if you don’t love onions, most people love a good crispy onion ring! Onion rings are actually pretty simple to make and in this post I’ll show you how. I actually think the onion ring is the most underrated side dish there is.
salt and pepper
Both simple and cost effective, one large onion can give you so many scrumptious onion rings. Onion rings are made in several steps and it’s key to stay organized or things can get messy. What’s a little fun without a little mess?
Getting your preferred onion ring slice is key. If you like thick onion rings then aim to slice them between 3/4 and 1 inch thick. I then like to set up “stations” so all goes smoothly in a line making the onion rings before they go into the oil to be fried.
Part in the onion ring process is to coat the onion rings in flour. Ensure each side is evenly coated during all parts of the process. I let Mia helped me dip the onion rings in flour, milk and egg and breadcrumbs before we fried them.
Love Snacks? Check out Easy Cheesy Bean Dip!
Process for making Onion Rings
Below are some process shots for an idea of how thick you want your rings to be and then covered in flour.
Super easy cripsy onion rings are just a few shakes away!
- 1 Large Onion, sliced in rings
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- Canola Oil for frying
- Slice the onion into 1/4 inch rings.
- Seperate the rings from each other.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and paprika into a medium sized boal.
- Coat each onion in the flour mixture on both sides and set aside.
- Use the remaining flour mixture with milk, egg and salt. Use a mixer until smooth.
- Set up your pan with canola oil and begin to heat up over medium heat.
- Coat each onion ring in the egg mixture and then dip into the breadcrumbs. You will want to ensure both sides are covered in bread crumbs.
- Fry the onion rings 1-2 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with your favorite condiment!