This is a recipe for Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Burrata.
Many of the best dishes are made with simple, flavorful ingredients. This pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, sweet shallots, plenty of parmesan cheese is topped with burrata, fresh cracked pepper and extra virgin olive oil to make one delicious meal.
short cut pasta
extra virgin olive oil
sun dried tomatoes marinated in oil
Watch the Video Recipe Here:
Making this Sun Dried Tomato Pasta has several steps but is relatively easy even for beginner home cooks and is made is under 30 minutes.
Begin by chopping your herbs and mincing the shallot and the garlic. You can also use a small food processor for the shallot and garlic if this is easier. I really enjoy chopping vegetables as a stress reliever! Chopping food by hand is a part of the magic. Set your herbs aside.
Open the jar of sun dried tomatoes and take out the tomatoes onto a cutting board. Reserve the oil as it will be your first ingredient in preparing the dish. Chop the tomatoes into bit size pieces to your liking.
Heating your pan over medium heat, add in the oil from the tomatoes, garlic and shallot. Your home will be so fragrant! While you can use any sauté or frying pan, I recommend using a cast iron covered in enamel such as my favorite Staub pan. It really makes a difference in the deep flavor of your cooking.
Once the garlic and shallot are tender, about 5 minutes, add in the tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add in the water and bring to a boil. Add in your pasta into the delicious sun dried tomato bath and cook until al dente!
Remove from heat and mix together the butter, parmesan cheese and herbs.
You’re ready to plate and top!
Pasta Recipe Variations
This pasta is the perfect base to add or substitute ingredients you love. Looking for a meat lovers pasta? Add in ground beef or crispy prosciutto.
For a meatier vegetarian option, add in sautéed mushrooms. Sauté them alongside the shallots and garlic until they are tender before adding in the sun dried tomatoes.
You can also switch up the pasta shape. Shown here I use penne however any short cut pasta such as rigatoni will do. You can’t go wrong with what you have on hand for this Sun Dried Tomato Pasta recipe.
Try these other delicious pasta dishes!
This hearty pasta dish with sun dried tomatoes topped with burrata cheese is made in under 30 minutes.
- 1 lb Penne or other short cut pasta
- 1 jar of sun dried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 and 1/2 cups water
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup dill, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Chop, dice and mince shallot, garlic and herbs. Set aside. Seperate the oil and the tomatoes from the jar of sun dried tomatoes. Set the oil aside and chop the tomatoes.
- In a large skillet (cast iron enamel will make all the difference!) heat over medium heat. Add in the oil from the tomatoes, shallot and garlic. Cook until fragrant and tender about 3-4 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and cook for another 2 minutes. .
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Add in the pasta and tomato pasta and continually stir. Cook the paste per the directions until al dente.
- Stir in the butter and parmesan cheese. Remove from heat and stir in the herbs until everything is mixed.
- Immediately place into serving dishes. Cut open buratta and tenderly place it on top of the pasta. Drizzle the buratta with extra virgin olive oil and fresh cracked pepper.
- Garnish with a handful of fresh herbs and enjoy!
Ensure to cook your pasta al dente. You do not want it getting too mushy.
If you need more water to boil, add some. If the dish is too watery when your pasta is cooked, add tomato pasta.
Serve with burrata and crusty bread while warm. The buratta will slighly mely making for a delicious bowl and hearty dish.
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 30mgSodium 355mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 11g
Please note nutrition is automatically calculated and may not be accurate.