This recipe is for the best vegetarian stuffing!
While you can make this best vegetarian stuffing as a side any time of year the first time I made it was on Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving stuffing is a favorite for everyone on Thanksgiving.
Starting a few years ago, Thanksgiving prep looked a little different in my house as we had a budding vegetarian who loved stuffing but wanted to keep it vegetarian.
With a few simple swaps, you can make stuffing vegetarian in a cinch.
crusty bread cubes
Substitutes for Vegetarian Stuffing
To make stuffing from regular to vegetarian, you’ll want to substitute out the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
If you’re making this recipe vegan stuffing, you’ll want to use vegan butter. Other than that, the ingredients are up to you! This recipe is focused on the savory.
Prepping for Thanksgiving? Try these other Thanksgiving Recipes:
The first step in this vegetarian stuffing recipe is to dice all the vegetables. I recommend using fresh bread that is a day or two old. Slice and cube your bread yourself to make all the difference in this recipe. Vegetarian stuffing is best with fresh bread that is a day or two old. You can cut small or large cubes.
After you have chopped all your items, you will sauté them until perfection with butter. Once the onions are translucent, you will add in the vegetable stock and toss with the bread cubes ready for the oven!
My favorite dish for baking can be found here and is shown in white in the photos. It does the job so well every time and comes in two sizes!
Substitue out key ingredients easily to make the best vegetarian stuffing.
- 3 cups of crusty bread, cubed OR you can use a 12 oz package of stuffing cubes.
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme with stems removed
- 3 tablespoons of fresh sage, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 and 1/2 sticks butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray or butter a large baking dish. Set aside.
- Cube the bread if you are using your own. If you are using prepacked bread cubes you can omit this step.
- After all vegetables have been diced, heat a medium sized pan over medium heat. Add butter.
- Once the pan is warm add in vegetables and herbs. Once the vegetables have softened, add in the vegetable stock and stir.
- Remove from heat. Place the bread cubes in the greased baking pan.
- Pour the vegetable stock mixture over the breaded cubes and stir until all are coated
- Place into the oven and bake for 55 mins. Stir once halfway through to ensure the edges are crisp.
- Serve alongside your favorite vegetarian main dishes!
You can make this recipe vegan by substituting butter for vegan butter.
To make vegetarian stuffing, swap the chicken stock with vegetable broth.
Traditional stuffing is not vegan. You can use this recipe and substitute butter for vegan butter for a vegan side dish.
Bread, eggs, spices, onion, celery and chicken broth.